01 March 2009

Breakfast Success and...Meat Jello?

I have never made hollandaise sauce, much less eggs Benedict. Fortunately, both came out pretty well this morning. My hollandaise was not perfect, but that is not what I was looking for. I think the temperature needed to be a little higher while I was whisking the egg whites. Now that I know that, I am going to experiment with my hollandaise a bit, and see what other sauces I can make with it.

As for the glace de viande from yesterday, I'm not so sure what to think about the result. I had about 3 quarts of liquid from cooking the beef bones yesterday and it reduced all the way down to about 1 cup. However, it never reached the carmelized consistency that is noted in Pepin's technique. After cooling in the fridge, it is more like meat jello than anything. That said, this was not the stock from the actual roasting and simmering of the bones, so that may be part of it. Still, Bill Cosby probably never envisioned this type of jello in the fridge!

So, one positive and one neutral on the two items from the past 24. I'm looking forward, very much, to beef bourguignon tonight, especially since it is supposed to snow up to 8" tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment