26 March 2009

Seared Tuna Suck

So, I'll make this quick. There are a few points I'd like to note about making seared wasabi-crusted tuna the night before last:

1) The tuna was packaged for use the following day, while previously we had seen the steaks out in the main seafood area - thus displaying greater freshness.
2) I used sesame oil which really did add a nice touch to the flavor - of which there was less than there should have been (see 1 above).
3) I did not use a non-stick pan - who gives a crap though, except much/all of the wasabi and sesame seeds stuck to the pan. Next time, I guess I will go non-stick?
4) I baked one steak per the directions on the package, and it was slightly overcooked - for my taste at least. I like med-rare, this was much closer to medium than I liked.

In sum, it was mediocre. I am looking forward to getting fresher tuna, perhaps making my own dressing/rub, trying my non-stick pan, and then picking some good sides. I took it easy with the sides this time (jasmine rice and store-bought seaweed salad) because I was in learning mode with the store-bought crusted tuna.

Lessons learned, people, lessons learned. Back to my personal Bond-a-thon on this drizzly, cold day! NOTE: Forecast = 50, rain likely. Wow, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment