24 March 2009

Microbiology, Cheese, and You

I stopped by Wegmans today for the items needed for dinner tonight. It should be good - seared wasabi-crusted tuna with a simple salad of something we have here and jasmine rice. Obviously, I did not feel like working too hard on any sides today. Sue me.

While there, I decided I wanted some cheese. So, I settled on a member of the blue family - Roquefort - and another one I had never heard of before - Selun. (NOTE: Yeah, that is about all I could find on it.)

Now, I love most, if not all, blue cheese. I adore them for whatever reason. They are delicious. Roquefort, including the ubiquitous Societe brand, is great. I could have eaten the entire piece I bought, but I thought I would actually conserve a little for later today.

The selun, however, took me by surprise. I was not expecting the intense smell. For those of you who ever spent time working with bacteria cultures and/or in a microbiology lab, it is definitely a cheese that makes you feel like you're whiffing in the smells of the bacteria incubator. I was not ready for it. However, when I ate it, it wasn't that bad. In fact, the after taste was actually quite pleasant. I just have to get past that smell. What was that? Listeria? E coli? Perhaps the black plague? Yummy.

Selun image is probably copyright/courtesy/not mine but Fromaggio Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment