21 February 2009

Stuffed to da Gills, Part One

I feel like my stomach has been pumped full of air to twice its normal size, then stuffed full of good food. Or perhaps you could say I ate well today.

The Adventures in Travel Expo barely happened today. We were roaming around Chinatown thinking of lunch and decided on La Tasca, the tapas joint. As I completed my order, I read the small leaflet in the menu. Oh, hey dumb ass, it's Restaurant Week in DC.

Needless to say, we went with the lunch special for the week (unlimited tapas) and tagged on a pitcher of rosada sangria. The sangria was pretty damn good and the food was, for the most part, also good. I took issue with the following: seafood paella (dry) and seared tuna steak (dry). However, these were smaller tapas portions made specifically for Restaurant Week (I believe) so they were probably prepared and cooked en masse for the masses. So, I'll give them a break...a little one. The best were the following: pork medallions, fried eggplant, marinated olives, and chorizo.

La Tasca on 7th - here's the map.


View Larger Map

The expo came next but we only stayed for about 30 minutes. It was mostly adventure travel agencies or national tourist groups at information booths. We were excited to see hiking trips to New Zealand. That place is gorgeous. We did get to sign up for some free drawings. We'll find out if we won sometime soon - I think.

*fingers crossed*

3 comments:

  1. i actually saw an ad for the expo and thought about going, but decided to be lazy and chill instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. unless i win a trip or end up hiking in new zealand, i probably didn't need to go. i wouldn't have minded getting to see samantha brown but we were drinking sangria and eating tapas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out that tapas place... You should check out the one in Old Town and see how it compares! I think it's just called "Las Tapas." It's on King St.; there's a Spanish flag out front.

    Hmm, I just went to Google Maps to look up the latter's info, and it appears that La Tasca is opening a location in Old Town.

    ReplyDelete