23 February 2009

Osso Buco - but red, not white

I made osso buco for the first time last night, and I used a recipe that called for braising the shanks in lots of red wine vice some dry white wine like many others. I thought, "Hell, why not? I like meats braised in red wine blah blah blah." The result was good, but, for me at least, the veal lost some of its own unique flavor with the massive amount of red wine in the dish. A bottle. Yes, full bottle of red wine.

It was topped with a gremolata, though one using orange zest and dried cranberries rather than (I think) more traditional lemon zest and no cranberries. That was nice, but I am interested to see how this dish would taste with just a lemon gremolata or a bouquet garni.

Regardless, I did enjoy making it as it is not that difficult and allowed me to work with veal. I am looking forward to making this dish again with a more classic recipe (i.e. dry white wine for braising and maybe a bouquet garni rather than gremolata).

The recipe I used was one I had seen awhile back while watching Food Network - here.

NOTE: I certainly did not use Amarone wine because the only bottle I found cost $50. I subbed a cabernet sauvignon and, perhaps, this is why I felt the red wine often overpowered the veal.

2 comments:

  1. I had this at Christopher's back in the Station. If I think hard enough about it, I start to salivate. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm looking forward to trying different recipes, flavor combinations b/c it seems like it will be something i'll make on numerous occasions

    ReplyDelete