27 February 2009

Good smellin' bones


I finally procured enough bare beef bones and beef short ribs to make brown stock. It smells pretty damn good in the house now. Too bad I've got about 10 hours to wait until I can start finishing it up. But, it will be worth it tomorrow or Sunday when we have beef bourguignon with buttered noodles.

The stock recipe I am using is from Jacques Pepin. However, I had to adapt to a smaller stock pot (6qt vs 12qt), and I am only using beef bones. As you can tell, it was bad enough getting those. I really did not want to try and scrounge up some veal and chicken cuts just for the bones.

Also, I now have a very good strainer (chinois) with which to remove all the junk out of the stock. Bring on the brown, tasty, beefy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment