20 February 2009

Lasgana, lasagna

OK. So, I've made lasagna many times in the past. I like it. I like hearty foods, foods that fill you up in only a serving or two. So, of course I'll like a dish that has lots of pasta, cheese, and some meat.

But the lasagna I made last night was the best I've made so far. The key difference was using a bechamel-marinara mix as the sauce. I never knew! It was simple to make and made the lasagna really fill itself out over the 45 minutes in the oven.

If you don't know bechamel sauce, it's really simple to make. Here's a simple way to make it, courtesy of Mario Batali via foodnetwork.com. Below is how I made it:

Ingredients

-5 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
-4 cups whole milk
-2 teaspoons salt
-pinch (or two) ground nutmeg
-pinch (or two) ground white pepper

Directions

In a medium saucepan, melt the room temperature butter over medium-low. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the color gets a little bit darker (sandy, I think is the term Batali uses) and keep stirring it regularly as it cooks.

Next, listen to your 8 month old daughter scream at you because you put her in her jumper. She wants to be held and watch you cook, inconsiderate dad. Geez.

Slowly add the room temperature milk to the butter mixture, continue stirring to prevent overcooking in bottom of pan. If not, it is easy for the sauce to stick to the pan (esp. if you are not using non-stick). Cook about 10 minutes while still stirring. Remove from heat when the sauce has become thicker and looks really creamy. Season with nutmeg and pepper.

Enjoy whatever you use this sauce for. I really like it and am looking forward to making something else with it.

Poka!

No comments:

Post a Comment