21 February 2009

Stuffed to da Gills, Part Two

After we ate all the tapas, it was then soon to be dinner time! We met up with a good friend to dine somewhere in Tyson's Corner Center and settled on La Sandia. Modern mexican food...don't be skeptical. It was good.

If you need a map to Tyson's Corner Center, go find it yourself. But, in my kind and benevolent ways, I will give you the link to La Sandia. Just settle your little cursor right over....not there...wait...right here.

NOTE: If you look around the website a bit, you can tell that this guy, Richard Sandoval, is probably doing a good job. I think there are 13 restaurants listed on the site. But whatevah.

I had pork carnitas. I love pork carnitas. It is simple and, more often than not, it tastes great. La Sandia's did not disappoint. I was pleased to see that the meat was not swimming in its own liquefied fat with this dish. I like the fat to still be solid and attached to my food, thank you very much.

The sides were sufficient too - black beans and rice. There is not much you can do with those two. However, I really liked one of the two salsas that came with the carnitas. One was salsa verde and the other a habanero salsa. The verde was too citrus-y for me, but who cares. The habanero salsa was great and definitely added a much needed kick to the carnitas.

Finally, the guacamole. I love guacamole. La Sandia's fit the bill. There was definitely a good use of pico de gallo, and the avocados were perfectly ripe and fresh.

I think La Sandia, based on this one visit, has earned a repeat visit. Now, next time I can try the carne asada.

2 comments:

  1. They give you choices on how hot you want the guacamole, too. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the three-page tequila menu...

    ReplyDelete