05 April 2009

Step Two - Great Dinner

Brasserie Beck served up some great food for us on Friday night. Thanks again to our good friend LM for taking care of the little lady so we could go out and relax at dinner for a change.

We decided we would roll heavy at dinner and have a few drinks (even after drinks at Acadiana), some starters, and then two good entrees. So, let's move on to the goods.

First, we decided to have a beer named Bacchus that was a good Flemish red ale - as the menu says, light and easy and definitely with some cherry flavor. This was a great beer that I think would go well with many dishes. It was tasty.

Second, with those beers, we settled on two starters: fricassee of Burgundy snails with roasted garlic and herb butter and braised pork belly and rice beans. Both were excellent. My wife ate most of the snails while I did the pork in easily. They were both extremely flavorful and the pork belly was very moist and tender. Excellent starters.

Third, for dinner, I went with the roasted rabbit loin in framboise beer and my wife had the choucroute "en croute". From what I just read, apparently the name means something along the lines of "sauerkraut in puff pastry" - and it was wonderful. For those of you that know me, I love sausage and sauerkraut. This dish had sauerkraut, homemade sausage, other pork pieces, a boiled egg, and general awesomeness. Can awesome come in puff pastry form? Of course, and this is just one way.

As for my dinner, the rabbit loin was tender, cooked great, and went well with the framboise beer sauce. The sauce made it all even better with its fruitiness. Another well-made and well-presented dish. The rabbit was served with a simple side of potatoes and some greens.

Oh yeah. We had a pinot noir blanc with dinner, which was good too, but I am no wine snob such suck it! if you have anything to say about that choice. Plus, our server did a good job but he did seem a bit frazzled at one point. He's got to slow it down!

Good stuff. I am a big fan of Beck and will return. You should eat here!

No comments:

Post a Comment