12 April 2009

Fun Time with Family - Acadiana

OK. We did a lot of stuff this past weekend while we had family in town. It was a great time. We had lots of good food, good drinks, and fun roaming around the city. A highlight was definitely a good dinner at Acadiana on Friday night.

We went in for dinner at 7pm (a little early for a Friday, I suppose) but we had baby girl with us, too, so it was necessary. My old lady and I started with the same cocktails we had the other night - a Sazerac for me and bourbon fizz for her. Good stuff again.

Our starters were three in number: classic turtle soup, crispy "gas station" pork boudin balls, and a trio "pies". The soup was great, with some subtle flavors that really did not overwhelm me but tasted great. I don't know a damn thing about good turtle soup, so it was good to me. The boudin balls were awesome. They were served with some brown mustard (I think) and some hot peppers. I loved these and would go back to Acadiana just for boudin balls and a drink. The pies were tasty, but not necessarily something that I might have again. They were served with a black pepper buttermilk dipping sauce that definitely rounded it out nicely.

As for entrees, I went simple but good - grilled gulf redfish with seafood jambalaya risotto and smoked red bell pepper sauce. The fish was cooked well and was quite flavorful. I really liked the bell pepper sauce and the risotto. Definitely a good dish with solid flavor. The other diners had seared scallops, crabcakes, and "grillades and grits". I tasted them all but won't comment too much because I only had nibbles. However, they were all good.

To finish, I had a great rye whiskey that, unfortunately, I cannot even recall now. I ordered one rye but they didn't have it, so I got the second ordered one for free and it was a super double. Good job, Acadiana server and bartender, for correcting a mistake.

Acadiana was good food and great service. I will certainly go back for dinner here, and most certainly will go back for drinks. As you all know, I am no foodie, no drink expert, but I know things when I like them. I have enjoyed my two times at Acadiana, so, well done to them.

2 comments:

  1. I think that Matt and I will have to check this place out soon. You've done a good job promoting them1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sold. Definitely will hit this up when I move up.

    ReplyDelete