08 April 2009

Flank Steak, Skirt Steak, Round Steak - What?!?

I cooked beef fajitas tonight and used flank steak. They were great, and the flank steak really did work out well. However, I am used to cooking beef fajitas with skirt steak, but Safeway did not have any. So, my dilemma was - well, what do I want to use? They had some thin cut round steak which probably would have also worked well. Regardless, the meat was tender and flavorful with the usual, quick Italian dressing marinade. (Yeah, I know, go simple and miss out on creating your own marinade - whatever.)

Also, I like the meat to be tenderized because it cooks quicker and, in a way, makes more meat. Alas, I do not have a big, electric tenderizer like we used to use to tenderize venison at my dad's company land. So, I used my hand tenderizer (i.e. steel mallet) but I could only do so much. I'm not about to pound meat through the counters at our rental home. Stupid tenderizing. As a result, our fajitas were more like steak tacos...but whatever - suck it, Trebek!

Of course, homemade guacamole abounded, and we ate our fill. I love avocados. I love guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment